The Daniel Smith Essential 5ml Sets is a favourite for beginners and seasoned watercolorist who would like to try Daniel Smith Extra Fine Watercolor. It also make a perfect gift.
The box set consists of 6 tubes of 5ml colours – 3 cool primary colours and 3 warm primary colours:
- Hansa Yellow Light (PY3) – a cool yellow. This is a glorious sunlight yellow and is a semi-transparent, non-granulating, low staining yellow.
- New Gamboge (PY97, PY10) – a warm yellow. This is a golden daffodil yellow and is a transparent, non-granulating, low staining yellow.
- Quinacridone Red (PV19) – a cool red. This is a deep, brilliant rose pink and is a semi-transparent, non-granulating, medium staining pink.
- Pyrrol Scarlet (PR255) – a warm red. This is a vivid red/orange and is a semi-transparent, non-granulating, medium staining red.
- Phthalo Blue (GS) (PB15) – a cool blue. This is a rich, soft blue, leaning towards green and is a transparent, non-granulating, staining blue.
- French Ultramarine Blue (PB29) – a warm blue. This is a bright, vivid blue and is transparent, granulating, medium staining.
With this 6 colours, you can mix a huge range of other colours including secondary oranges, greens and violets. With this wide range of colours from mixing these 6 colours in different combinations, you can paint landscapes, still lives, portraits…..whatever you choose!
Click here to find out how to create these wheels.
For some painting ideas with the set, check out Brenda Swenson’s step-by-step Hollyhocks guide.